DIY Graphic Print Tablecloth

DIY Graphic Print TableclothDIY Graphic Print TableclothI love modern design.

Sure, there’s always a time and a place for cute, or romantic, or rustic, but I hold a special place in my heart for modern.

There is just something about clean lines, bold elements, and in your face design, that speaks to me, and it also happens to be exactly what I’m bringing you guys today!

One thing that I’ve found is that tablecloths, and good ones at that, tend to be SUPER expensive! We’re talking over $200 for ONE linen. (It’s ok to splurge once in awhile, but not for every time you want to have a dinner party!)

And a table linen really is the starting point for your table design. It can make or break a good tablescape and something that I’m not always willing to go broke over either. So what do I do instead….?

I create my own, of course! (Did you really think anything otherwise?)

This DIY graphic print tablecloth combines my love for graphic elements and the awesome feeling of saving a lot of moolah on a fancy looking table linen!

Here’s what you’ll need to make yours:

• White tablecloth – any size, any shape
  • Black fabric paint
  • Round bowl or similar object to create the “pattern”

DIY Graphic Print Tablecloth(Read the directions on the bottle of your fabric paint before starting. Some require you to wash your linens first before applying the paint!)

First, decide on the width you want for your graphic “runner”.

Tape off the area to help you maintain a straight line. (If you choose to eyeball it and do find that you’ve started to go a little crooked, you can fix it fairly easily by spacing out each circle a bit farther apart or pushing them closer together when overlapping them).

Dip the rim of your bowl into the fabric paint. Don’t focus too much on the amount of paint. The variations of the paint thickness are what give the pattern some definition and texture to the overall design.

DIY Graphic Print TableclothStarting from one side of your taped edge, and working towards the other, “stamp” overlapping circles onto your tablecloth. You can space them as close or as far apart as you want, but you do want them overlapping at some point.

“Stamp” a couple of circles each time you dip the bowl into the paint to create the different shades of black on the tablecloth. The pattern will resemble a “coffee cup stain” type of look with the different variations of paint density with each circle. Maybe I should have dubbed this project my coffee cup stain tablecloth….no?

Continue moving from side to side on your tablecloth until the entire middle section of your cloth is painted, creating a faux “runner” down the center.

DIY Graphic Print Tablecloth

DIY Graphic Print TableclothLet dry and use!

I absolutely love the pop this DIY graphic print tablecloth creates just from the pattern alone. You can add in other bright pops of color to make your table more playful or pair it with soft pastels to dress it down a bit. Either way, this table is going to get some attention!

DIY Graphic Print TableclothDIY Graphic Print Tablecloth

Photography by Haley Nord Photography

7 Comments

1. troutay on June 4, 2015 at 3:24 pm

the table cloth is lovely!
    Where did you get the chairs???

• Ashley on June 5, 2015 at 7:52 am

Thank you! The chairs are from Ikea! 🙂

2. Shannon karas on June 5, 2015 at 6:01 am

What a great table cloth! Thank you for sharing. It is perfect with the green chairs. Do you know where the chairs are from?

• Ashley on June 5, 2015 at 7:51 am

Thanks Shannon! The chairs are from Ikea!

3. Monique | WritingMonique on June 6, 2015 at 6:00 am

Wow! This looks really awesome! Great DIY!

4. Annie on September 10, 2015 at 7:18 am

Hi! This is such a great idea. If I want to stick to my kitchen’s theme of brighter colors, how do you think it would look with some randomly added light yellow or green circles?? Not sure they would have a bold enough impact to go with the black…. Thanks!

• Ashley on September 10, 2015 at 8:49 pm

Hi Annie! I definitely think the yellow would be too light paired with the black, but green could be really fun! I’d recommend something close to a kelley green!

let's mingle

Web Graphics-46
Please enter your name.
Please enter a valid email address.
Something went wrong. Please check your entries and try again.

watch the latest

ashley’s latest pins

• One of my goals this year was to fit in some more time to read and I’m happy to report that I’m making some serious headway on my list (you can find out more about that here). But this month I want to try to add a few spooky and seasonal titles to my finished list. If you’re like me and trying to cross a few books off your list or just looking for a few ways to include a little more “thrill and chill” into your October, these are my picks for 12 spooky reads to add to your Halloween reading list
  • Pretty Things | The Golden Girl | Jess Keys, aesthetic, pretty things, pink, white, makeup, skincare, flowers, home decor, interior design, minimalist, fresh, clean, natural, beauty, self-care
  • Soft and warm mini donuts filled with a Nutella and mascarpone cheese cream. These donuts are easy to make and rolled in a cinnamon sugar.
  • @AranzaDrive ❁

Disclosure

Sponsored posts or gifted items will be fully disclosed, and any thoughts and opinions shared are always honest and my own. Some posts contain contextual affiliate links, from which I may receive a commission on sales should you use them to make a purchase. No matter what, everything you see on Let's Mingle is something I genuinely like and recommend.